Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Roll Brim Beanie - Crochet Testers Invited

Hello!  When Caleb tried on Hayden's hat he wanted one, I put in a red stripe so they could tell them apart.  Here are my two darling grandsons modeling them for me.  Aww.. aren't they cute?  These ought to keep their heads warm this winter.


Here is another image of his hat.


There was a sale on the Premier Yarns website, 2 skeins for $10 so I got the grey that Hayden liked and the red/white/pink one just because.  These skeins are HUGE and slightly bulky yarn, the color-way is called "Puzzle".

My granddaughter in Ohio saw the boys in their hats and Paige wants one, so guess what I'll be up to next?  My daughter Amy is going to check to see if Jenna wants one too.


I posted the photo of the boys in their hats on Facebook and have been asked to share my pattern - since I came up with this on my own, I just wrote up how I do the ribbed roll brim just now.  Can anyone test the pattern for me?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

Crochet Hat with Ribbed Roll Brim
by Teresa Kasner, copyright 10/4/17

This is for boys and girls 8 years to 15 – for a larger head you can add rows before you do the rolled brim, you can also make the rolled brim wider by adding to it.

I used a fairly thick worsted and a size H hook.

Round 1: (Start with magic loop – or) Ch 1, 10 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Join with a sl st to first sc (through both top loops). (10)

Round 2: Ch 2, dc in same st, 2 dc in next st and each around (including joining st). Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (20)

Round 3: Ch 2, 2dc in next st, *dc in next, 2dc in next* around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (30)

Round 4: Ch 2, dc in next st, 2dc in next st, *dc in next 2 sts, 2dc in next* around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (40)

Round 5: Ch 2, dc in next 2 sts, 2dc in next st, *dc in next 3 sts, 2dc in next* around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (50)

Round 6: Ch 2, dc in next 3 sts, 2dc in next st, *dc in next 4 sts, 2dc in next* around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (60)

Rounds 7-12  (try on hat at this point): Ch 2, dc in first st and each st around. Join with sl st to top of beg ch 2. (60)

FOR RIBBED ROLL BRIM –

Chain 13, sc in 2nd sc from hook, sc down chain towards hat, after 12th sc, sc in edge of hat through both loops of two stitches, then sc in BACK LOOP of sc stitches and work sc to the end (12 sc), ch 1, turn, sc down towards hat in back loop and on and on until you make it all around the hat, then cut the yarn long enough to sew the first and last of the roll brim together.




13 comments:

  1. Great hats Teresa modelled beautifully 😙. I hope someone can test the pattern for you. It's so good of you to write it up xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern! I want to give it a try... the boys are such winsome models :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning to crochet is on my list for this fall. Hope I can do it half as well as you someday! Your grandsons are so very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandsons look adorable in their new hats from Grandma! That red stripe is just awesome. Thanks for sharing the pattern. It might be a while before I give it a try. My grandson will just be arriving next month so will have a tiny head to cover this winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the way you made the ribbed bottom edge, so clever! The hats (and boys) look super-cute!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these hats Teresa ♥♥ and those boys ☺☺ I may give pattern a go, but I take so long you may be waiting for ever xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hats are a delight, along with the two boys modelling them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect pattern for a cosy hat. Won’t be long before the boys will be putting them to good use :). B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hat is warm and looks amazing on those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hat is so cute on those boys (probably NOT what they would want to hear...how about so handsome!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab hats and very handsome models! Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto Anne! Super makes.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)